Make Sure That Your Common Law Marriage Counts

When a legal issue arises in your family, the best way you can protect yourself and the ones you love is by consulting a family law attorney who understands how to help you.

Request your free
consultation »

Here in Colorado, common law marriages are not quite as relaxed as people seem to think they are. In fact, there are steps that people need to take if they wish to receive recognition as being married through common law. We at Lunt, Smith & Associates, LLP, have extensive experience in this and many other areas of family law, and we can help you navigate through this hazy maze of bureaucratic red tape.

Let’s Take A Look At The Qualifications

The qualifications are the first thing that anyone needs to know about common law marriage. For you and another person to marry under common law, you both need to:

  • Be at least 18 years of age or older
  • Mutually consent to being married
  • Present yourselves socially and legally as married
  • Be legally eligible to marry

The Benefits Of Common Law Marriage

The best way to think of common law marriage is that it is the same as any other marriage. You and your partner might see tax benefits by claiming the other person on your taxes. You may also be able to enjoy the benefit of being able to be a dependent on your partner’s insurance, or vice versa.

Common law marriage can also help aid you in family matters related to child custody, estate planning and trust management. Our lawyers can help you decide if proceeding with common law marriage is the right step for you.

Let Us Help You Make Things Official Today

If you are looking to become married through common law, or if you are even curious about if it can benefit you, our attorneys can help. Contact us at our Fort Collins office by calling us at 970-286-0577.

Call today and set up your initial consultation with one of our dedicated lawyers today.

Connect With Us | Follow Lunt, Smith & Associates, LLP On Your Favorite Social Media Platform And Review Our Firm Below.

Contact Lunt, Smith & Associates, LLP