Child Support & Modifications

When a legal issue arises in your family, the best way you can protect yourself and the ones you love is by consulting a family law attorney who understands how to help you.

Request your free
consultation »

In every divorce that involves a child, the determination of child support will play a role. Whether you are seeking child support or you have been ordered to pay, Lunt, Smith & Associates, LLP, can help you understand and protect your legal rights.

Tirelessly Working To Help Our Clients Obtain Fair Child Support Agreements

Child support is determined in Colorado using a formula that takes into consideration the incomes of the parents and the specific needs of the children and your family. It is presumed by the court that the parent with whom the child lives most of the time contributes his or her share of child support by virtue of providing directly for the child. The support by the other parent is paid in the form of monthly child support.

For more than two decades, our founding lawyer Barbara L. Ornelas has assisted Colorado parents throughout the Fort Collins area with obtaining fair results in support cases. Although child support is largely determined through court-mandated calculations, they can be influenced by unique circumstances, depending on the case.

Our Fort Collins child support attorney Barbara L. Ornelas will diligently work to ensure your case is accurately presented and your specific circumstances are taken into consideration.

Modifying Your Child Support Order

Like child custody and parenting time agreements, support orders can be modified as long as you are able to provide a reason to the court involving a substantial and continuing change of circumstances. In order for there to be a “substantial” change of circumstances, the amount of child support due would need to change by at least 10 percent.

When you consult Lunt, Smith & Associates, LLP, Barbara L. Ornelas will meet with you to learn about how you would like to modify your support order. We will help you develop a case that will show the court your substantial and continuing change of circumstances.

It is important to remember that support orders can only be modified and enforced through court. If you make a verbal agreement with your child’s other parent to pay less or more, it will be not legally enforceable. You may also be held in contempt of court if you pay less than the original order has stated.

Contact Lunt, Smith & Associates, LLP

We invite you to contact Lunt, Smith & Associates, LLP, today at 970-286-0577. Our law office hours are Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Friday from 8 a.m. to noon. Our firm accepts Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit cards. Translation services are available in Spanish, Portuguese and Polish.

Connect With Us | Follow Lunt, Smith & Associates, LLP On Your Favorite Social Media Platform And Review Our Firm Below.

Contact Lunt, Smith & Associates, LLP